We all know recycling is vital to protect the environment and that we should recycle whenever possible, but how many of you know why we should recycle metal? And how is recycling good for the environment?
Here are some reasons why recycling metal helps the environment.
- Metal recycling can help in the prevention of visual pollution.
- Mining metal ores acquire metal, and most metal ores are found in untouched, desolate landscapes.
- Recycling your metal can prevent mining and the destruction of landscapes, as recycling metal doesn’t involve extracting non-renewable metal ore.
- Mining destroys a flawless landscape and eliminates the homes of wildlife that may never return.
- Recycling metals also reduce chemical pollution as it reduces the amount of transport used.
- If the metal is recycled, it doesn’t have to be imported from other countries via transportation, cutting emissions and fuel.
- Metal recycling uses lower energy resources than smelting ore to create new metal items.
- Nearly every kind of metal can be recycled repeatedly without degradation of properties. Currently, only 30 per cent of metal is recycled.
Types of metals recycled.
Metals are classified as non-ferrous or ferrous.
Non-ferrous metals include aluminium, copper, lead, tin and zinc. Precious are also non-ferrous. The most common precious metals include gold, iridium, platinum and silver.
Ferrous metals are a combination of iron with carbon. Some common ferrous metals include alloy steel, carbon steel, cast iron and wrought iron.
Some of the metals we accept:
- Stainless steel
As leading recyclers for Thanet and Kent, we know everyone needs to recycle and protect the environment. We have years of experience in the industry and can advise you on how best to manage your metal waste for ease of processing – we can also provide the required documentation you may need.
Why do we recycle metals?
Metals are materials that are recycled over and over without degrading their properties. Metal for scrap has value, which motivates people to collect it for sale to metal recycling operations.
Recycling metals also enables us to preserve natural resources while requiring less energy to process than manufacturing new products using raw materials. Recycling metal emits less carbon dioxide and other harmful gasses. Recycling also saves money, allows manufacturing businesses to reduce production costs, and creates local jobs in Kent.
Below are some additional facts:
- Nearly 40 per cent of worldwide steel production uses recycled steel.
- Iron and steel are the most recycled metals in the world.
- The use of magnets helps in sorting ferrous from non-ferrous metals when separating from a mixed waste stream.
- An estimated 400 million tons of metal are recycled worldwide every year.
- Throwing away a single aluminium can wastes energy equivalent to the same can filled with gasoline.
- We are reducing greenhouse gasses for a brighter future.
- Due to recycling, fewer Greenhouse gases such as Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrous Oxide and Water Vapour are produced each year.
- Recycling metals reduce the need for landfill sites. There are around 4,000 landfill sites in the UK alone.
Scrap metal recycling in Thanet, Kent
Metal is a valuable material, and much of it can be easily recycled and put back into use. At Reclamet, we never send waste to landfill sites. Instead, we provide scrap metal recycling at our dedicated facility in Birchington to promote a cleaner future.
Recycling helps to avoid using virgin materials, and we process your waste and sort metals for a new lease of life. Whether metal from construction sites, office clearance, civic amenity sites or old cabling, Reclamet in Thanet, Kent, can take and recycle unwanted cars or metal and arrange payment based on the value we can recover.
Contact our friendly expert team today to discuss your scrap metal recycling requirements or find out if we accept your metal waste.
Call Reclamet, The scrap metal specialists you can rely on.
Call: 01843 800800