Brass Prices in the UK, Today
Updated May 2021
Brass Prices (per ton)*
Brass Cutts – £3,800
Brass Rod – £3,750
No 1 Brass Borings – £2,930
No 2 Brass Borings – £2,430
Mixed Brass (No Shells/Bullets) – £3,750
Brass and Bronze Recycling
Brass and Bronze are copper alloys containing copper with various other metal compounds. A combination of copper and zinc, tin, or lead forms a new metal in the form of Brass or Bronze. Other metals can be present, depending on the purpose of the metal.
Bronze is one of the earliest alloys known, dating back thousands of years known as the Bronze age.
Why are there different types of brass and bronze?
Strength, appearance and corrosion resistance are reason for different brass and bronze types.
Why are bronze and brass different?
Bronze and brass are very similar metals. Brass in general is a copper alloy containing more zinc. Bronze contains a higher tin content.
What are the different types of brass and bronze?
- Mixed Brass – comprising of assorted clean brass solids
- Brass Borings & Turnings – machine excess from cut brass
- Brass & Copper Compo Rads (Steel Free)
- Brass Radiators (Steel Free)
- Gunmetal – example: industrial plumbing fittings
- Gunmetal Turnings – machine excess from cut gunmetal
Brass recycling types
Brass Hair Wire, Brass Heater Cores, Brass Pipe, Brass Shells, Clean Brass Radiators, Clean Brass Turnings, Composition Scrap, Red Brass Composition Scrap, Mixed Brass Castings, Brass Taps, Brass Valves, Rod Brass, Rod Brass Turnings, Chrome Plated Brass, Semi-Red Brass, Refined Re-brass & Copper, Unclean Brass Radiators, Dirty Brass Radiators, Dirty Brass Plumbers Brass, Refinery Brass, Red Brass Turnings, Old Yellow Brass, New Brass Clips, Yellow Brass Turnings, C Metal, C&F Metal (cocks & faucets), Clean Auto Radiators, Unclean Auto Radiators, Nickel Silver Solids, Nickel Silver Turnings, Brass Wire Nodules, Clean Brass Wire, Insulated Brass Wire, Mixed Wire Connectors, Brass Dross, Irony Brass, Other Brass.
- Mixed Bronze
- Bronze Turnings
- Phosphor Bronze
- Bronze Crown Wheels/Gears
- Manganese Bronze Solids
- Manganese Bronze Turnings
- Bronze Dross
Other bronze recycling types
Mixed Wire Connectors, Irony Bronze, Aluminium Bronze Solids, Aluminium Bronze Turnings, Other Bronze.
Common properties and usage of brass and bronze
- Copper and Zinc alloy
- Yellow in colour
- Often used as a substitute of gold
- Usage in low pressure plumbing fittings
- Used for sink drains and fixtures (often chrome plated)
- Car radiators
- Door Knobs
- Trim Hardware
- Copper and Tin alloy
- More coppery colour than yellow
- Harder than Brass
- High pressure fittings and applications
- Water fittings
- Fire hose couplings and similar uses